Monday, January 23, 2012

What is the "best" texting app for the iPod touch?

I know this question has been asked many times before, but for every question there's about a million answers that each contradict themselves so I just wanted an up-to-date answer. Here's specifically what I'm looking for:



I just want a simple app that can send unlimited texts to cell phones, I don't care about pic messaging or anything else fancy. So far it seems like "textPlus" (from GOGII) and Textfree Unlimited (From Pinger, Inc) are the two most popular in the app store and they both seem to fit that criteria. HOWEVER, the most important feature I'm looking for is something that can receive text messages even when my iPod is turned off or not connected to wi-fi. I've heard some sources that say there are no texting apps that support receiving offline texts, but other sources say to the contrary. If that is the case, and even the two apps stated earlier can't receive texts when I'm not connected to wi-fi (or, rather when I reconnect after the text is sent), then are there other possibilities? Couldn't I, in theory, send and receive texts via an email address, such as yahoo or hotmail? I'm almost certain that, if nothing else, that method will work, but I'm not completely sure. I know it would be a bit slow seeing as emails aren't quite as fast to send as an IM text message such as AIM's texting, which I know won't work offline, (or at least not as fast on a PC, that is. I have no clue about an iPod as I haven't gotten mine yet) and I'd probably have to end up creating a new email address so my primary inbox wouldn't be flooded, but wouldn't that work on an iPod as well as enable me to receive texts even if I'm not connected to wi-fi? Or IS there a simpler, faster alternative such as a plain old texting app? (I've already heard from a friend that the yahoo messenger app can't receive offline texts (which seems stupid to me seeing as I'm almost certain you can on a computer) so I know that wouldn't work otherwise this problem would have been solved a long time ago).What is the "best" texting app for the iPod touch?
Textfreee unlimiteddWhat is the "best" texting app for the iPod touch?
Textplus.

No comments:

Post a Comment